Monday 14 May 2012

Wild thing... I think I love you!

Sadly last week we lost a great Children's book illustrator Maurice Sendak. His most famous piece of work was "Where the Wild Things are" published in 1963. It's a story about a young boy called Max who causes mischief in his wolf costume. For being naughty Max is punished by his mother and sent to bed without any dinner. It is then that Max begins his adventure to the land where the wild things and eventually become king of them all.

 Did you know that he loved opera and collaborated a few times to produce some lovely studies as well as his lifetime admiration and fascination with the illustrator/poet William Blake?

I have always love the detail and compositions of his images and ultimately this story. When the news broke about his passing my friend L said "I hope he has gone to live where the wild things are." Which I am sure that is where he has gone. 

So Mr Sendak I hope you will like this little tribute art wherever you are.



No comments:

Post a Comment